Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Hale's Air Conditioning Services Inc in Saint Petersburg about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between specialized cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Hale's Air Conditioning Services Inc. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Hale's Air Conditioning Services Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Saint Petersburg home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Hale's Air Conditioning Services Inc a call at 727-369-6195.